The original recipe for these Savory Beans comes from a really good cookbook titled, Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.
I used Bob's Red Mill 13 Bean Soup Mix.
Here's the gist of the recipe. I made some changes along the way.
1. Rinse beans
2. Cover with 3-4 inches of water
3. Soak overnight or for 8 hours
4. Drain water
5. Put beans into large slow cooker
6. Cover beans 3-4 inches with chicken broth, veggie broth, or water (or a mixture of all)
7. Chop 1-2 onions and add in
8. Chop 2 cloves garlic (I wish I'd used more.)
9. Add a bay leaf (take out at end)
10. Add spices that you like
11. Cook on High 8 hours or until the beans are tender.
When I dished the beans up, I chopped up fresh chives and dill on top. Then I added a couple dashes of Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce. Don't add too much or the flavor takes over.
Add cornbread if you wish and DIG IN!!
The kids needed some shredded cheese on top to help it go down, but they ate it.